This term we are introducing the phase 3 phonics program.
Today is a recap day so there is no individual sound video.
Here is today’s session:
I initially filmed this video to be suitable for the children to watch on their own as per the previous term’s phonics videos, however due to the short notice of school closure I have not been able to create videos that are more interactive. So please ensure you and your child have a pencil/pen and piece of paper/whiteboard with you as you watch the video. Feel free to pause and model any writing elements to them and also encourage them to write where appropriate e.g. the letter formation part. This phonics session should last no longer than 15 minutes.
If you are interested in finding out more about our phonics teaching strategy, please click here.
Today’s sentence should be “Quick jump in the river.” Again, this includes a sound the children have not yet learnt (er), so please explain to them we will be learning it soon.
- Please get your child (helping them where required) to cut out the words on the sentence sheet delivered to you.
- Ask your child to write their name on the top of the sheet.
- Starting on the red dot, ask your child to practice their letter formation by writing over the yellow letters on the sheet, reminding them about the correct ‘finger and thumb’ pencil grip
- Together with your child, arrange the cut out words into the correct sentence, reminding your child about the 3 elements of sentence writing; capital letter at the start, finger spaces and a full stop at the end.
- Once the words are arranged in the correct order, ask your child to attempt copy this sentence on to the sheet doing their best to stay on the line. Again please remind the children about the 3 elements of sentence writing.
Optional extra: You could discuss the picture with your child and ask them if there is an extra sentence they can write about the picture. Below are some phonically decodable extra sentence ideas you could ‘steer’ them to if you wish:
- Kids on a rock.
- The kids jump off the rock.
- It is fun.
Here is a sound mat that might be useful when your children are sounding out and want to find the sound to write.
Here is this sound mat in a downloadable pdf format:
This week I have created a week long project that will involve building a number wall that we can use throughout the rest of the half term for reference and warm up activities (you would of seen the finished version in last week’s maths videos).
Please note this video series was created in March 2019 to support children in the last school closure so I may make weird references to things that we have not yet covered or to things that were happening last year!
Please also remember that all the children have a school Numbots account. Numbots is a fun app that turns counting, addition and subtraction into a game where the children can earn certificates. Login details were given out last term, please let me know if you need me to resend your child’s.
Thank you as always for your support.
Please email any comments, questions or feedback to receptionroy [at] burntmill.essex.sch.uk